All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNATIONAL BEST SELLER Sweetbitter is a stunning debut vel, one that seems destined to help define a generation. Jay McInerney A lush, raw, thrilling vel of the senses about a year in the life of a uniquely beguiling young woman, set in the wild, seductive world of a famous New York City restaurant. Let's say I was born when I came over the George Washington Bridge... This is how we meet unforgettable Tess, the twenty-two-year-old at the heart of this stunning debut.Shot from a mundane, provincial past, Tess comes to New York in the stifling summer of 2006.Alone, kwing one, living in a rented room in Williamsburg, she manages to land a job as a backwaiter at a celebrated downtown Manhattan restaurant. This begins the year we spend with Tess as she starts tonavigate the chaotic, enchanting, punishing, and privileged life she has chosen, as well as the remorseless and lumius city around her. What follows is her education: in oysters, Champagne, theappellations of Burgundy, friendship, cocaine, lust, love, and dive bars. As her appetites awaken for food and wine, but also for kwledge, experience, and belonging we see her helplessly drawn into adarkly alluring love triangle. With an orphan s ardor shelatches onto Simone, a senior server at the restaurant who has lived in ways Tess only dreams of, and against the warnings of coworkers she falls under the spell of Jake, the elusive, tatted up, achingly beautiful bartender. These two and their enigmatic connection to each other will prove to be Tess s most exhilarating and painful lesson of all. Stephanie Danler intimately defines the crucialtransition from girl to woman, from living in a place that feels like where to living in a place that feels like the center of the universe. She deftly conjures the nstop and purely adrenalized world of the restaurant conversations interrupted, phrases overheard, relationships only partially revealed. And she evokes the infinite possibilities, the unbearable beauty, the fragility and brutality of being young in New York with heart-stopping accuracy. A lush vel of the senses of taste and hunger, seeing and understanding, love and desire Sweetbitter is ultimately about the power of what remains after disillusionment, and the transformation and wisdom that come from our experiences, sweet and bitter.
- Author BiographySTEPHANIE DANLER is a writer based in Brooklyn, New York. She holds an MFA in creative writing from the New School.
- Author(s)Stephanie Danler
- PublisherThorndike Press
- Date of Publication07/09/2016
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThorndike Press
- Weight590 g
- Width137 mm
- Height221 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
- Edition Statementlarge type edition
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $26.95Trending at AU $31.01
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $28.99
- AU $12.20Trending at AU $16.49
- AU $76.78Trending at AU $79.87
- AU $10.68Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $9.41Trending at AU $12.51
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $25.79
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.