All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this landmark book, author Fumon Tanaka uses the life and accomplishments of sword master Miyamoto Musashi to explore the history of swords and sword fighting and show the key role they played in the development of the traditional Japanese martial arts systems. The book opens with an introduction to Musashi as a real-life figure, t just the legend we've come to kw. Musashi was born in 1584, a time of transition in Japan that saw centuries of violence and war give way to an era of peace. In his early years, Musashi studied kenjutsu (the technique of the sword) and trained as a warrior. By the age of thirty, he had fought and won sixty-six duels, proving himself a truly gifted swordsman. When he was in his thirties, however, warriors were longer called upon to do battle, and many, like Musashi, turned to the inner secrets and theories of kenjutsu in order to find a deeper meaning to life. He became a first-class painter and wrote Zen poetry. In 1643, when he was sixty years old, Musashi wrote his classic work, The Book of Five Rings. Musashi was a master of the two-sword fighting technique, although he didn't invent it, as is often thought. By 1629, he had gone back to his ronin (masterless warrior) way of life and opened a kenjutsu dojo, where he taught two-sword fighting, which the author covers later in the book. The second chapter talks about other important sword fighters, while the last two chapters go into great detail about the various traditional martial arts systems including the history and characteristics of each, as well as the techniques themselves. The long history of Japan is also the history of the martial arts, which evolved from swordsmanship. And since the mental, spiritual, and physical aspects are inseparable, an exploration of traditional martial arts is also a look at the very essence of Japanese culture.
- Author BiographyFumon Tanaka was born in 1943. He started learning kendo (the modern version of sword fighting) at the age of thirteen, and has been practicing martial arts ever since. He is the leading authority on the traditional martial arts in Japan, and has written many books on the subject, including Samurai Fighting Arts published by Kodansha International in 2003. In 1998 he traveled to France as part of the Nihon Budo delegation selected by the Ministry of Education and the Agency for Cultural Affairs. Since then, he has frequently been invited to teach in Germany, Italy, England, France, Denmark, and Sweden.
- Author(s)Fumon Tanaka
- PublisherKodansha America, Inc
- Date of Publication29/10/2013
- SubjectBoxing & Combat Sports
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintKodansha America, Inc
- Content Note1337 Black and White Photographs
- Weight850 g
- Width198 mm
- Height267 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
- AU $22.78New
- AU $76.89New
- AU $36.17New
- AU $29.80New
- AU $77.88New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $19.67Trending at AU $22.88
- AU $32.82Trending at AU $36.17
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $127.06
- AU $17.63Trending at AU $19.93
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $87.64
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $87.04
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $17.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.