All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor centuries, Sydenham was a small hamlet on the edge of a large tract of common land, kwn as Sydenham Common, in the parish of St Mary's, Lewisham. London was more than an hour's travel away. Over little more than half a century, three events radically altered Sydenham, turning it from a rural hamlet into a populous, even fashionable, suburb of London: the enclosure of Sydenham Common, the coming of the railway in 1839 and the construction of the Crystal Palace on Sydenham Hill. Today, Sydenham and Forest Hill are attractive and popular places to live, with good access to green spaces and local amenities. Join local historian Steve Grindlay on a photographic tour of Sydenham and Forest Hill past and present, showcasing points of interest such as the Horniman Museum, the Kirkdale Building and Jews Walk. Sydenham and Forest Hill Through Time is an essential volume for anyone who kws and loves these leafy suburbs.
- Author BiographySteve Grindlay is a local historian who has lived in Sydenham for over 35 years. He sits on the Conservation Committee of the Sydenham Society where he advises on planning applications and the historical background of buildings of interest in the area. He has written many articles and regularly gives talks on local history. His work in the library and his 'insider' view of the secure environment which houses this unique and valuable collection had fired his imagination, and he began to immerse himself in the local history of Sydenham and Forest Hill. Steve is retired, and lives with his wife in Sydenham, South East London.
- Author(s)Steve Grindlay
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication13/11/2014
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Series TitleThrough Time
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note180
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $71.84New
- AU $64.55Used
- AU $78.24New
- AU $104.93New
- AU $75.19Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $38.97Trending at AU $68.87
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $79.74
- AU $21.18Trending at AU $22.96
- AU $89.88Trending at AU $93.97
- AU $19.59Trending at AU $32.40
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $101.08
- AU $27.89Trending at AU $30.59
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.