Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $53.66Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $17.95Free postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by thephilosophersnook
- Est. delivery by 26 Jan
All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'Offers a convincing evaluation of Pankhurst's role in Marxist politics after 1918.' History Today In a long and active life (1882-1960), Sylvia Pankhurst was a tireless activist for a variety of radical causes, including women's suffrage, labour movement and international solidarity campaigns. She made pioneering contributions to gender and class politics, revolutionary communist politics and the struggles against imperialism, racism and fascism. In addition, Pankhurst founded and edited four newspapers, and wrote and published twenty-two books, and numerous pamphlets and articles. In this biography, Mary Davis provides a much-needed reappraisal of a woman whose contribution to a wide variety of causes is too often marginalised or overlooked, whether as the employer of the first black journalist in Britain - the activist and writer Claude McKay - or as an early campaigner for pan-Africanism. Pankhurst's changing affiliations and commitments - from her early suffragette activities, though her involvement with disenfranchised and impoverished women in London's East End, to her passionate embrace of the Soviet revolution, the cause of communism worldwide and the fight against imperialism and fascism - mirror the history of radical politics in the twentieth century. Mary Davis's lucid and accessible account of Pankhurst's political life restores a remarkable woman to her rightful place in twentieth-century history.
- Author BiographyMary Davis lectures in trade union studies and labour history at the Centre for Trade Union Studies at the University of North London. She has written widely on labour and women's history, most recently Sylvia Pankhurst: A Life in Radical Politics, also available from Pluto Press.
- Author(s)Mary Davis
- PublisherPluto Press
- Date of Publication31/07/1999
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPluto Press
- Content Notenotes, references, bibliography, index
- Weight363 g
- Width135 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.66
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.26
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.39
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.74
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $99.57
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $112.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.