All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSymmetry is a key ingredient in many mathematical, physical, and biological theories. Using representation theory and invariant theory to analyze the symmetries that arise from group actions, and with strong emphasis on the geometry and basic theory of Lie groups and Lie algebras, Symmetry, Representations, and Invariants is a significant reworking of an earlier highly-acclaimed work by the authors. The result is a comprehensive introduction to Lie theory, representation theory, invariant theory, and algebraic groups, in a new presentation that is more accessible to students and includes a broader range of applications. The philosophy of the earlier book is retained, i.e., presenting the principal theorems of representation theory for the classical matrix groups as motivation for the general theory of reductive groups. The wealth of examples and discussion prepares the reader for the complete arguments w given in the general case. Key Features of Symmetry, Representations, and Invariants: (1) Early chapters suitable for hors undergraduate or beginning graduate courses, requiring only linear algebra, basic abstract algebra, and advanced calculus; (2) Applications to geometry (curvature tensors), topology (Jones polymial via symmetry), and combinatorics (symmetric group and Young tableaux); (3) Self-contained chapters, appendices, comprehensive bibliography; (4) More than 350 exercises (most with detailed hints for solutions) further explore main concepts; (5) Serves as an excellent main text for a one-year course in Lie group theory; (6) Benefits physicists as well as mathematicians as a reference work.
- Author BiographyDr. Roe Goodman has been a professor for 45 years, and is currently a professor at Rutgers University. He as travelled internationally as a visiting professor to numerous prestigious universities. He has authored two books, and co-authored the previous highly successful version of this book. He has edited two books, and has published over 30 articles in refereed journals. Dr. Nolan R. Wallach has been a professor since 1966, and is currently a professor at the University of California, San Diego. He has authored or co-authored over 100 publications. In 1992, he was the Chair of the Editorial Boards Committee of the American Mathematical Society. He has been an editor of Birkhauser's series, Mathematics: Theory and Applications, since 2001. In addition to numerous other prizes, recognitions and professional organization affiliations, in 2004 he became and Elected Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- Author(s)Nolan R. Wallach,Roe Goodman
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication19/10/2010
- Series TitleGraduate Texts in Mathematics
- Series Part/Volume Number255
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note10 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight1110 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine37 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of hardcover 1st ed. 2009
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $23.03New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.96
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.47
- AU $60.87Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $23.03
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $30.87
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.