All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe enduring alliance between Iran and Syria which came about after Iran's 1979 Revolution proved to be a feature of the Middle East's political landscape in the 20th and early 21st centuries. Moreover, its impact in moulding events and bringing about major changes in this troubled region proved ermously significant. Jubin M. Goodarzi provides us with the first in-depth study on the Syrian-Iranian nexus, which traces the origins and development of the strategic partnership between Damascus and Tehran from 1979 until the present. He argues that contrary to prevailing views (due in large part to the authoritarian and unpopular nature of the Syrian and Iranian regimes), the alliance between them was conceived as essentially defensive in nature. He puts forth an empirical survey with a chrology of events, and analyses the key phases in the evolution of the alliance. In the process, he explains their significance, both in terms of how they affected bilateral relations between the two states and their regional implications. Through careful research and analysis, Goodarzi reveals linkages between major events in the Middle East and crucial decisions that were made in Tehran and Damascus; particularly ones that have been overlooked or igred by regional analysts and scholars. These include the impact of the Israeli invasion of Leban in 1982 and the subsequent Syrian-Iranian consultations on Iran's position regarding the war with Iraq; the effects of US-Iraqi actions in the Persian Gulf in 1988 and Iran's moves in Leban against the wishes of Syria. Goodarzi analyses the stability and security of this partnership and assesses its prospects for the future.
- Author BiographyJubin M. Goodarzi is Professor of International Relations at Webster University Geneva, and has worked as a Middle East Affairs analyst with a number of US and UK research institutes and with the United Nations. He holds a doctorate in International Relations from the London School of Economics.
- Author(s)Jubin M. Goodarzi
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication31/03/2007
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Series TitleLibrary of Modern Middle East Studies
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 55
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight581 g
- Width134 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine33 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.31New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.31
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.19Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.35Trending at AU $30.17
- AU $3.54Trending at AU $7.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.