All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAfter World War II, a systems approach to solving complex problems and managing complex systems came into vogue among engineers, scientists, and managers, fostered in part by the diffusion of digital computing power. Enthusiasm for the approach peaked during the Johnson administration, when it was applied to everything from military command and control systems to poverty in American cities. Although its failure in the social sphere, coupled with increasing skepticism about the role of techlogy and experts in American society, led to a retrenchment, systems methods are still part of modern managerial practice. This groundbreaking book charts the origins and spread of the systems movement. It describes the major players including RAND, MITRE, Ramo-Wooldrige (later TRW), and the International Institute of Applied Systems Analysis--and examines applications in a wide variety of military, government, civil, and engineering settings. The book is international in scope, describing the spread of systems thinking in France and Sweden. The story it tells helps to explain engineering thought and managerial practice during the last sixty years.
- Author BiographyThomas P. Hughes is Professor of the History and Sociology of Science at the University of Pennsylvania.
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication11/02/2011
- SubjectTechnology: General & Reference
- Series TitleDibner Institute Studies in the History of Science & Technology Series
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note9
- Weight794 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Edited byAgatha C. Hughes,Thomas P. Hughes
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $47.85Trending at AU $48.79
- AU $32.52Trending at AU $40.62
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $26.56Trending at AU $29.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.