All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe past decade has seen an explosion of lifestyle makeover TV shows. Audiences around the world are being urged to 'revate' everything from their homes to their pets and children while lifestyle experts on TV w tell us what t to eat and what t to wear. Makeover television and makeover culture is w ubiquitous and yet, compared with reality TV shows like Big Brother and Survivor, there has been relatively little critical attention paid to this format. This exciting collection of essays written by leading media scholars from the UK, US and Australia aims to reveal the reasons for the huge popularity and influence of the makeover show. Written in a lively and accessible manner, the essays brought together here will help readers 'make sense' of makeover TV by offering a range of different approaches to understanding the emergence of this popular cultural phemen. Looking at a range of shows from The Biggest Loser to Trinny and Susannah Undress, essays include an analysis of how and why makeover TV shows have migrated across such a range of TV cultures, the social significance of the rise of home revation shows, the different ways in which British versus American audiences identify with makeover shows, and the growing role of lifestyle TV in the context of neo-liberalism in educating us to be 'good' citizens. This book was published as a special issue of Continuum: Journal of Media and Cultural Studies.
- Author BiographyTania Lewis is a Senior Research Fellow in Sociology at La Trobe University. She is the author of Smart Living: Lifestyle Media and Popular Expertise (Peter Lang, New York: 2008). Her current research is on green lifestyles and ethical consumption, and lifestyle television in Asia.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication09/12/2008
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight476 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Edited byTania Lewis
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.87
- AU $23.22Trending at AU $28.84
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.71
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.93
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $30.31
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $50.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.