All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $62.46
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $72.91
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
About this product
- DescriptionThe British Virgin Islands (BVI) markets itself to international visitors as a paradise. But just whose paradise is it? Colleen Balleri Cohen looks at the many players in the BVI tourism culture, from the tourists who leave their graffiti at beach bars that are popularized in song, to the waiters who serve them and the singers who entertain them. Interweaving more than twenty years of field tes, Cohen provides a first hand analysis of how tourism transformed the BVI from a small neglected British colony to a modern nation that competes in a global ecomic market. With its close reading of everything from advertisements to political manifestos and constitutional reforms, Take Me to My Paradise deepens our understanding of how nationalism develops hand-in-hand with tourism, and documents the uneven impact of ecomic prosperity upon different populations. We hear multiple voices, including immigrants working in a tourism ecomy, nationalists struggling to maintain some control, and the anthropologist trying to make sense of it all. The result is a richly detailed and accessible ethgraphy on the impact of tourism on a country that came into being as a tourist destination.
- Author BiographyColleen Ballerino Cohen is a professor of anthropology and women's studies at Vassar College. She has written several articles and has produced three ethnographic videos on BVI tourism, festivals, and musical culture.
- Author(s)Coleen Ballerino Cohen
- PublisherRutgers University Press
- Date of Publication15/10/2010
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew Brunswick, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRutgers University Press
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight569 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.