All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTake-off: almost a ton of inert matter transformed by the pilot as it lifts off the runway into a thing of spirit and beauty. Take-off: lifting one's shadow off the earth, entering a new element where movement is the very condition for existence, for, as the author observes, in life, to choose the wrong wife or the wrong lift is conventionally viewed as being matters of varying gravity, but in piloting an aircraft an act of petty oversight, due to the obvious but decisive fact that in flight there can be stopping, could be fatal. Whether he is reliving his first solo flight or a frightening experience as he pilots a light aircraft through storm clouds, his training and his instincts constantly at odds, or the mysterious loss of an airliner on an internal flight, or the brief, adrenaline-charged lives of Italian torpedo-bombers in World War Two, Del Giudice focuses on the edge of experience in which a person learns to take thing, but thing, for granted. While Take-off has much of the charm, humour and poetry to be found in the best of Saint-Exupery (whose last flight is evoked in the final chapter), it will also remind the reader of Robert Pirsig's classic Zen and the Art of Motor Cycle Maintenance by its close focus on the question of how the mind approaches problem-solving. Winner of the Bagutta, Campiello and International Flaia Prizes.
- Author BiographyDANIELE DEL GIUDICE was born in Rome in 1949. He is author of two previous novels and a novella. Being a qualified pilot with many a story to tell, he was encouraged to write the present book by Federico Fellini.JOSEPH FARRELL, journalist, reviewer and broadcaster, teaches Italian at Strathclyde University. Italian novelists whose work he has translated include Leonardo Sciascia and Vincenzo Consolo; he has also translated plays by Goldoni, De Filippo and Dario Fo.
- Author(s)Daniel Del Giudice
- Date of Publication01/07/2013
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe Harvill Press
- Weight143 g
- Width135 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.14
- AU $12.00Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.03
- AU $11.81Trending at AU $19.09
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $47.08Trending at AU $49.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.