All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe year is 1979. America is in a funk. And Pittsburgh was exception. Double-digit inflation, a near disaster at nearby Three Mile Island, and the decline of downtown businesses all placed over the city of Pittsburgh a cloud that grew darker than the smoke that rose from the Homestead Works 25 years earlier. Into this atmosphere of doom and gloom came a cause to celebrate. The 1979 Pirates, under the baton of manager Chuck Tanner, included a cast of characters kwn as Scrap Iron, Cobra, Teke, The Candy Man, and, of course, Pops. The team became a cardiologist's nightmare as the Bucs compiled a 98-64 regular season record, winning 25 of those games in their last at-bats. Down three games to one, the Bucs rose from the ashes to defeat Baltimore and become World Series champions. Thousands of Pittsburgh faithful marched along Smithfield Street and Fifth Avenue. They cheered, danced, and sang over and over again the team's theme song-- We Are Fam-a-Lee. That upbeat song remains linked with the '79 Bucs to this day. Relive those glory days in Tales from the 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates. Celebrate the turnaround of shortstop Tim Foli as a player and as a man. Laugh with Chuck Tanner when he heard Pirate fans, including his own wife, actually boo him for what they thought was a poor decision. You might even shed a tear when you read about the untimely passing of the legendary Willie Stargell. These and the other tales about the 1979 Pirates will bring back a heap of fond memories about one of baseball's most colorful teams. Skyhorse Publishing, as well as our Sports Publishing imprint, are proud to publish a broad range of books for readers interested in sports--books about baseball, pro football, college football, pro and college basketball, hockey, or soccer, we have a book about your sport or your team. Whether you are a New York Yankees fan or hail from Red Sox nation; whether you are a die-hard Green Bay Packers or Dallas Cowboys fan; whether you root for the Kentucky Wildcats, Louisville Cardinals, UCLA Bruins, or Kansas Jayhawks; whether you route for the Boston Bruins, Toronto Maple Leafs, Montreal Canadiens, or Los Angeles Kings; we have a book for you. While t every title we publish becomes a New York Times bestseller or a national bestseller, we are committed to publishing books on subjects that are sometimes overlooked by other publishers and to authors whose work might t otherwise find a home.
- Author BiographyJohn McCollister is an incurable baseball romantic who has written over 20 books, several of which are on baseball. Born and raised in Pittsburgh, McCollister earned his BA in history at Capital University and his PhD at Michigan State in communications.
- Author(s)John McCollister
- PublisherSports Publishing LLC
- Date of Publication04/02/2014
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Series TitleTales from the Team
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSports Publishing LLC
- Content Note30 B&W photos
- Weight299 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.74
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.18
- AU $40.71Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $36.57Trending at AU $37.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.