All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAmos Otis, Frank White, George Brett, Hal McRae, Dan Quisenberry, Bret Saberhagen, Paul Splittorff--one mention of any of those names can bring about visions of great baseball, determination, and winning. However, one vision outweighs all others: the boys in blue ...the Kansas City Royals. The Kansas City Royals, an expansion club in the American League in 1969, struggled during their early existence. It didn't take long, however, before the Royals established themselves as one of the most successful franchises in baseball. That success culminated with the winning of the 1985 World Series. Since 1969, the Royals have developed great players that have had fun. Along the way, they also have developed a winning tradition. Although the Royals have received the small-market tag in recent years, the organization still boasts a proud heritage, and in 2014 they recorded their first playoff victory in almost thirty years en route to a seven-game World Series matchup against the San Francisco Giants. In this reissue of Tales from the Kansas City Royals Dugout, first published in 2004 and updated through the 2014 season, longtime Royals radio broadcaster Denny Matthews relives the club's great moments and proud tradition. Sit back and enjoy never-before-told anecdotes, including from the team's great rivalries with the New York Yankees, Oakland A's, and the remarkable players who have helped form the legend of the Kansas City Royals. Skyhorse Publishing, as well as our Sports Publishing imprint, are proud to publish a broad range of books for readers interested in sports--books about baseball, pro football, college football, pro and college basketball, hockey, or soccer, we have a book about your sport or your team. Whether you are a New York Yankees fan or hail from Red Sox nation; whether you are a die-hard Green Bay Packers or Dallas Cowboys fan; whether you root for the Kentucky Wildcats, Louisville Cardinals, UCLA Bruins, or Kansas Jayhawks; whether you route for the Boston Bruins, Toronto Maple Leafs, Montreal Canadiens, or Los Angeles Kings; we have a book for you. While t every title we publish becomes a New York Times bestseller or a national bestseller, we are committed to publishing books on subjects that are sometimes overlooked by other publishers and to authors whose work might t otherwise find a home.
- Author BiographyDenny Matthews has been with the Kansas City Royals as a radio announcer since the club's first season, 1969. Besides working for the Royals, Matthews has worked games for the CBS Radio Network. After the 2003 season, the Royals selected Matthews for the club's Hall of Fame. Matthews, a 1966 graduate of Illinois Wesleyan, lettered in baseball and football for three years. In 1999, along with Fred White and Matt Fulks, Matthews coauthored Play by Play: 25 Years of Royals on Radio. Matt Fulks started his journalism career while attending Lipscomb University in Nashville, Tennessee. Since then he has been involved in every form of media, including work with WSMV-TV (Nashville's NBC affiliate), WAKM radio, and the Review-Appeal newspaper. Fulks is currently a regular contributor for various publications, including a weekly newspaper column, Behind the Stats, which focuses on inspirational stories from the world of sports. He is also the author or coauthor of six other books, including Behind the Stats: Tennessee's Coaching Legends and Super Bowl Sunday, which he compiled in association with CBS Sports.
- Author(s)Denny Matthews,Matt Fulks
- PublisherSkyhorse Publishing
- Date of Publication19/02/2015
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Series TitleTales from the Team
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSkyhorse Publishing
- Content Note50 B&W photos
- Weight371 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Foreword byFrank White
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.85
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.