All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the critically acclaimed author of Daddy Needs a Drink hailed by the Los Angeles Times as consistently hilarious comes a series of irreverent, wickedly observant essays about what it really means to be a teacher today. With his trademark wit and wisdom, Robert Wilder dissects the world s blest profession whether he s taming a classroom full of hormonal teenagers or going one-on-one with the school bully. Wilder was twenty-six when he found his true calling. Leaving a lucrative advertising career in New York, he got a job as an assistant first-grade teacher at a Santa Fe alternative school and never looked back. Now he brings his unique perspective as a teacher, parent, and former student to a series of laugh-out-loud essays that show teaching at its most absurd and most rewarding. With brutal candor he chronicles his own lively adventures in modern education, from navigating cutthroat kindergarten sign-ups to subbing for a class experi-ment gone wrong and dares to tell about it. He shares the surprising lessons he s learned in the trenches of his profession, including how to bribe a four-year-old (his own) to stop swearing in a Lutheran preschool and the best way to teach moody teenagers manage helicopter parents and cope with bullies whether of the school-yard, Internet, or parental kind. And he offers tough love for cheaters who log on to www.SchoolSucks.com, then puts to rest forever the question of why new teachers gain weight (hint: the free donuts don t help). In Tales from the Teachers Lounge, Robert Wilder charts life s learning curve with a warmth and humor you don t find in textbooks. By turns heartwarming, eye-opening, and uproariously funny, these pitch-perfect essays offer priceless lessons in life, family, learning, and teaching from a true lover of education. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author BiographyRobert Wilder is a writer and teacher who lives with his wife and two children, Poppy and London, in New Mexico. He has appeared on NPR's Morning Edition, and has a monthly column for the Santa Fe Reporter also called Daddy Needs a Drink. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author(s)Robert Wilder
- Date of Publication26/08/2008
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHumour: Collections & General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Weight259 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.80Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.68Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.55Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.00Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $14.60Trending at AU $16.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.