All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe stories in this collection reflect Wodehouse's own happy schooldays at Dulwich College but they also do a good deal more. Although among his earliest attempts at fiction they give fascinating glimpses of a time when motor cars were velties, schoolmasters wore mortar boards and gowns, and America was a rising power in the world. The best of them display the author's love of games and knack for neat plotting. In one, a resourceful teenaged heroine helps a truant schoolboy cricketer by marooning his credulous schoolmaster at the top of a church tower until the match is over. Ather describes a boy escaping from the scene of his crime by a passing car, only to be caught out by a last-minute revelation. Several Sherlock Holmes parodies read as what they are - high-spirited experiments - but the longer stories delve deeper into character: together, they recreate a vanished world of school shops, fagging, Latin prep and hearty teas.
- Author BiographyThe author of almost a hundred books and the creator of Jeeves, Blandings Castle, Psmith, Ukridge, Uncle Fred and Mr Mulliner, P.G. Wodehouse was born in 1881 and educated at Dulwich College. After two years with the Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank he became a full-time writer, contributing to a variety of periodicals including Punch and the Globe. He married in 1914. As well as his novels and short stories, he wrote lyrics for musical comedies with Guy Bolton and Jerome Kern, and at one stage had five musicals running simultaneously on Broadway. His time in Hollywood also provided much source material for fiction. At the age of 93, in the New Year's Honours List of 1975, he received a long-overdue knighthood, only to die on St Valentine's Day some 45 days later.
- Author(s)P. G. Wodehouse
- Date of Publication28/03/2014
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Series TitleEveryman's Library P G Wodehouse
- Series Part/Volume Number92
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEveryman's Library
- Weight419 g
- Width30 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine135 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.62
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.27
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.80
- AU $21.75Trending at AU $24.79
- AU $19.97Trending at AU $20.46
- AU $39.99Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $28.10Trending at AU $28.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.