Save on Travel Guides
- AU $12.95Trending at AU $15.88
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $19.54
- AU $7.31Trending at AU $12.20
- AU $12.45Trending at AU $13.91
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $13.15
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $14.45
- AU $18.42Trending at AU $32.45
About this product
- DescriptionPilgrims, or 'henro' as they are kwn in Japanese, have been walking clockwise around Shikoku, Japan's fourth largest island, for well over one thousand years. They follow in the footsteps of the great Buddhist saint Kobo-daishi, searching for the ever elusive enlightenment that he found there. They visit the 88 sacred temples, and in overcoming the hardships of the journey they become better for it. Or so the theory goes! Nowadays nearly all 'henro' travel in cars, taxis or buses, and physical hardship doesn't come into it! Craig was a 'walking henro' in the summer of 1995 and this book contains the tales of his journey. This is one of five books available on Amazon about McLachlan's various adventures in Japan. He has also walked the length of Japan (3200kms in 99 days!), climbed Japan's 100 Famous Mountains in record time (78 days!), journeyed around the Saigoku 33 Temples of Kann Pilgrimage, and trekked from the Sea of Japan to the Pacific Ocean climbing all Japan's 3,000-meter peaks along the way. See www.craigmclachlan.com.
- Author BiographyA 'freelance anything' with an MBA from the University of Hawai'i, Craig has done a lot of adventuring in Japan! He has: - walked the length of Japan (3200kms in 99 days!). - hiked the 88 Sacred Temples of Shikoku Pilgrimage. - set a 78-day record for climbing the Hyakumeizan, Japan's 100 Famous Mountains. - journeyed around the Saigoku 33 Temples of Kannon Pilgrimage. - trekked from the Sea of Japan to the Pacific Ocean climbing all Japan's 3,000-meter peaks along the way. Books on all these adventures are available on Amazon in English and four have been published in Japan in Japanese. Craig also co-authors Lonely Planet's 'Japan' and 'Hiking in Japan' guidebooks and leads tours to Japan for Wilderness Travel. Craig's first novel, 'Kiwi Republic' is also available on Amazon. For more information on Craig, check out www.craigmclachlan.com.
- Author(s)Craig McLachlan
- Date of Publication03/11/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight254 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.