All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAre you considered a dingbatter, or outsider, when you visit the Outer Banks? Have you ever ticed a picture in your house hanging a little sigogglin, or crooked? Do you enjoy spending time with your buddyrow, or close friend? Drawing on over two decades of research and 3,000 recorded interviews from every corner of the state, Walt Wolfram and Jeffrey Reaser's lively book introduces readers to the unique regional, social, and ethnic dialects of North Carolina, as well as its major languages, including American Indian languages and Spanish. Considering how we speak as a reflection of our past and present, Wolfram and Reaser show how languages and dialects are a fascinating way to understand our state's rich and diverse cultural heritage. The book is enhanced by maps and illustrations and augmented by more than 100 audio and video recordings, which can be found online at talkintarheel.com.
- Author BiographyWalt Wolfram is William C. Friday Distinguished Professor of English at North Carolina State University, USA and author of Hoi Toide on the Outer Banks: The Story of the Ocracoke Brogue, among other books. Jeffrey Reaser is associate professor of English at North Carolina State University, USA and coauthor of the curriculum Voices of North Carolina: Language and Life from the Atlantic to the Appalachians.
- Author(s)Jeffrey Reaser,Walt Wolfram
- PublisherThe University of North Carolina Press
- Date of Publication30/07/2016
- Place of PublicationChapel Hill
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of North Carolina Press
- Content Note58 halftones, 12 maps, 4 tables
- Weight503 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $24.94Trending at AU $33.36
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.