All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTalking about Domestic Abuse is an activity pack for children of nine years and above and adolescents where families have experienced domestic abuse, to help and encourage them to open up to their mothers about their distressing experiences. Based on the authors' work with families who have experienced domestic abuse, the activities are designed around four important themes: building self-esteem; naming feelings; facilitating communication between mothers and children; and talking about personal experiences, including domestic violence, and are accompanied by photographs which act as prompts for discussion. The authors explain the need of young people to communicate with their parents about painful memories. They also establish practical 'ground rules' on how mothers can enter into that communication successfully and how to make the most of the activities provided. Further information is also given on support services that are available to families coping with domestic abuse. This will be an essential tool for families including young people who have lived through domestic abuse, as well as social workers and other professionals working with them.
- Author BiographyCathy Humphreys, Ravi K Thiara, Agnes Skamballis and Audrey Mullender form the research team for the Centre for the Study of Safety and Wellbeing, at the University of Warwick. Cathy Humphreys is a Senior Lecturer in the School of Health and Social Studies at the University of Warwick. Ravi K Thiara is Senior Research Fellow in the School of Health and Social Studies at the University of Warwick. Audrey Mullender is Principal of Ruskin College, Oxford University. Her distinguished research career has focused on domestic violence, post-adoption issues for birth relatives and groupwork theory.
- Author(s)Agnes Skamballis,Audrey Mullender,Cathy Humphreys,Ravi K. Thiara
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication19/06/2006
- SubjectReference & Home Learning
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Content Note112 illustrations
- Weight290 g
- Width210 mm
- Height297 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Interest Age9+
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.02New
- AU $5.82New
- AU $22.60New
- AU $33.47New
- AU $30.62New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $62.02
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.88
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.62
- AU $49.31Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.55
- AU $39.26Trending at AU $43.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.