All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWith over 500 planets w kwn to exist beyond the Solar System, spacecraft heading for Mars, and the ongoing search for extraterrestrial intelligence, this timely book explores current ideas about the search for life in the Universe. It contains candid interviews with dozens of astromers, geologists, biologists, and writers about the origin and range of terrestrial life and likely sites for life beyond Earth. The interviewees discuss what we've learnt from the missions to Mars and Titan, talk about the search for Earth clones, describe the surprising diversity of life on Earth, speculate about post-biological evolution, and explore what contact with intelligent aliens will mean to us. Covering topics from astromy and planetary science to geology and biology, this book will fascinate anyone who has ever wondered 'Are we alone?'
- Author BiographyChris Impey is a University Distinguished Professor and Deputy Head of the Department of Astronomy at the University of Arizona. His research interests are observational cosmology, gravitational lensing, and the evolution and structure of galaxies. He has co-authored two introductory textbooks, and wrote the well-received astrobiology book The Living Cosmos (Random House, 2007).
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication01/08/2010
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note115 b/w illus.
- Weight990 g
- Width174 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byChris Impey
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.99Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.95
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.