All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionI'm absolutely fascinated by Ransom Riggs' [series] Talking Pictures - themed collections of found photographs that happen to have writing on them. Usually, there's just eugh written to make each image more powerful, and leave you wanting more . (Boingboing.com). Growing up in South Florida - the land of junk stores, garage sales and big-tent flea markets - Ransom Riggs collected pictures of people he didn't kw. Searching through endless dusty aisles of old stuffed animals, mismatched dishes, and needlepoint portraits, Riggs would find boxes of yellowing snapshots, discarded by old folks who had died or children who hadn't seen fit to save them. As hundreds of unkwn faces from unkwn locals stared back at him, Riggs found himself searching a particular kind of photograph - those with writing on the back or sides. Talking Pictures is a stunning collection of found images from the past-men, women, and children pulled from obscurity, posing for unkwn cameraman. Yet, upon closer inspection, each image reveals something greater - an inscription that has the ability to open up a new world. In Talking Pictures Riggs shows us how a few scribbled lines can turn a blurry black-and-white snapshot of people who seem a million miles and a million years away into an intensely personal sliver of experience that anyone can relate to. Grouped into categories like Love and Marriage, Road Trip, Clowning Around, and The Dead, the images reveal secrets, express pain and longing, and capture moments of honesty like other medium. With a single phrase, each haunting image becomes something t just to look at, but to listen to.
- Author BiographyRansom Riggs is the author of the novel Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and The Sherlock Holmes Handbook (Quirk Books). Before earning an MFA in film production from the USC school of cinema-television, he worked for several years as a journalist, photographer, and documentary film editor. His award-winning short films have screened at more than 70 film festivals worldwide. Currently developing a number of original feature film projects, he is also a contributing writer and blogger for mental_floss magazine and Mentalfloss.com.
- Author(s)Ransom Riggs
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers Inc
- Date of Publication04/09/2012
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content NotePhotos throughout
- Weight816 g
- Width178 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.12
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $34.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.