All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe structural challenges of building 800 metres into the sky are substantial, and include several factors which do t affect low-rise construction. This book focusses on these areas specifically to provide the architectural and structural kwledge which must be taken into account in order to design tall buildings successfully. In presenting examples of steel, reinforced concrete, and composite structural systems for such buildings, it is shown that wind load has a very important effect on the architectural and structural design. The aerodynamic approach to tall buildings is considered in this context, as is earthquake induced lateral loading. Case studies of some of the world's most iconic buildings, illustrated with full colour photographs, structural plans and axometrics, will bring to life the design challenges which they presented to architects and structural engineers. The Empire State Building, the Burj Khalifa, Taipei 101 and the HSB Turning Torso are just a few examples of the buildings whose real-life specifications are used to explain and illustrate core design principles, and their subsequent effect on the finished structure.
- Author BiographyMehmet Halis Gunel received his high school education in Ankara, and studied civil engineering at the Middle East Technical University (METU). After graduating in 1982, he continued graduate work at the same university, completing his MSc and PhD degrees in structures in 1984 and 1995 respectively. He worked as an Assistant in the Structural Mechanics Division of the Civil Engineering Department at METU from 1982-1984, and 1986-1989. He also served as Project Manager at Prokon Consultants Company in Ankara from 1989-1991. Since that time, he has been teaching in the Architecture Department at METU and is currently an Associate Professor. His technical interests comprise reinforced concrete, tall buildings, prefabrication, and structural design in architecture. Huseyin Emre Ilgin studied Architecture at METU and after graduating in 2003 he continued graduate work at the same university. He completed his MSc degree and PhD qualifications in building science and architecture in 2006 and 2010 respectively. He has worked in several architectural offices, at Cankaya University as a Scholarship Assistant, and at METU as a part-time instructor. Currently he is working as an Architect at the Ministry of Health in Ankara.
- Author(s)Halis Gunel,Huseyin Emre Ilgin
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication02/07/2014
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note269 colour illustrations, 2 colour tables
- Weight680 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $23.03New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.96
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.47
- AU $60.86Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $23.03
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $30.87
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.