All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionInternational sanctions have become the instrument of choice for policymakers dealing with a variety of different challenges to international peace and security. This is the first comprehensive and systematic analysis of all the targeted sanctions regimes imposed by the United Nations since the end of the Cold War. Drawing on the collaboration of more than fifty scholars and policy practitioners from across the globe (the Targeted Sanctions Consortium), the book analyzes two new databases, one qualitative and one quantitative, to assess the different purposes of UN targeted sanctions, the Security Council dynamics behind their design, the relationship of sanctions with other policy instruments, implementation challenges, diverse impacts, unintended consequences, policy effectiveness, and institutional learning within the UN. The book is organized around comparisons across cases, rather than country case studies, and introduces two analytical invations: case episodes within country sanctions regimes and systematic differentiation among different purposes of sanctions.
- Author BiographyThomas J. Biersteker is Gasteyger Professor of International Security and Conflict Studies and Director of the Programme for the Study of International Governance at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, Geneva. Sue E. Eckert is Senior Fellow at the Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs at Brown University, Rhode Island. Marcos Tourinho is a visiting professor and research fellow at the Center for International Relations of Fundacao Getulio Vargas in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication08/03/2016
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note4 b/w illus. 47 tables
- Weight560 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byMarcos Tourinho,Sue E. Eckert,Thomas J. Biersteker
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.