Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $23.34+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Save on Travel Guides
- AU $32.00Trending at AU $34.93
- AU $12.95Trending at AU $15.21
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $19.59
- AU $7.31Trending at AU $12.24
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $13.19
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $14.49
- AU $18.42Trending at AU $32.54
About this product
- DescriptionTarpon Springs, the South's Mediterranean port city named for the abundant fish found off its coast, is hailed as the Sponge Capital of the World. The oldest town in Pinellas County, Tarpon is located along the Anclote River where the river flows into the Gulf of Mexico. History in this coastal community dates back to the 1800s with the arrival of the first settlers. The advent of the railroad and the building of the Anclote Key Lighthouse brought many positive changes to the area; wealthy Northerners flocked here creating a winter haven while numerous fishing vessels plied city waters. Enterprising entrepreneurs boosted the city's ecomy and reputation with the harvesting of sponges. The Greek immigrants who came to the area to continue their traditional trade of sponge diving forever enriched the city's cultural makeup with their families and customs. Today, the progressive community continues to be a shining example of historic preservation and cultural variety. Images of America: Tarpon Springs celebrates the fascinating history of the Venice of the South and invites readers to experience this breathtaking locale through words and vintage photographs. Rare images, including scenes of the early sponge divers, businesses, residents, festivals, and celebrations, abound in this unique volume. Natives, visitors, and history buffs alike will delight in this visual tour of a picturesque and historically interesting community.
- Author(s)Dolores Kilgo
- PublisherArcadia Publishing (SC)
- Date of Publication25/11/2002
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Series TitleImages of America
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintArcadia Publishing (SC)
- Weight308 g
- Width162 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.