Task-Based Instruction in Foreign Language Education: Practices and Programs by Georgetown University Press (Paperback, 2004)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $42.69Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $32.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTask-based language instruction has proven to be highly effective, but surprisingly underutilized. Theory can only go so far and hands-on experience can greatly speed and enhance the learning of a second language. Nineteen talented instructors who have successfully implemented task-based programs explain the principles behind the programs, discuss how problems were resolved, and share details on class activities and program design. Each chapter takes the reader through the different stages in designing and setting up such programs, adjusting them, and appraising and testing them in rmal classroom conditions. This book covers TBI syllabus and program design and is based on actual classroom experience. Any one of the courses or programs discussed can serve as models for others. Many of the contributors are highly respected practitioners who are presenting their programs for the first time, while others are regular participants in today's ongoing dialogue about teaching methods. Full of concrete, adaptable models of task-based language teaching drawn from a number of countries and eleven different languages - including Arabic, Chinese, Czech, English, French, German, Korean, Spanish, and Ukrainian - Task-Based Instruction in Foreign Language Education presents proven, real-world, practical courses and programs; and includes web-based activities. It demonstrates useful and practical ways to engage students far beyond what can be learned from reading textbook dialogue. TBI involves the student directly with the language being taught via cognitively engaging activities that reflect authentic and purposeful use of language, resulting in language-learning experiences that are pleasurable and effective. For all instructors seeking to help their learners enhance their understanding and grasp of the foreign language they are learning, Task-Based Instruction in Foreign Language Education is a rich and rewarding hands-on guide to effective and transformative learning.
- Author BiographyBetty Lou Leaver is associate dean of Global Education and dean of New York Institute of Technology campuses in Jordan. She has introduced task-based instruction into several foreign language programs, including the Defense Language Institute, the American Global Studies Institute, NASA, the American Language Center in Tashkent, Uzbekistan, and the American Language Center in Chisinau, Moldova. She has also provided assistance to programs using TBI in Brazil, Turkmenistan, Japan, and Korea. Jane Willis is a visiting fellow at Aston University, Birmingham, UK, where she taught in the Masters in TESOL/TESP distance learning programs, specializing in course and materials design and lexical studies. She has taught English to European and Asian students and has educated teachers in Africa, Cyprus, Iran, and Southeast Asia. She began experimenting with task-based English teaching in 1982 in the British Council Teaching Centre in Singapore. She is the author of A Framework for Task-based Learning and coauthor of English for Primary Teachers.
- PublisherGeorgetown University Press
- Date of Publication01/11/2004
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationWashington, DC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGeorgetown University Press
- Content NoteMs. pages count does not include fig.s and tables.
- Weight476 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byBetty Lou Leaver,Jane R. Willis
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.86
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $19.15Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.13
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.