All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $39.15
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.71Trending at AU $42.51
About this product
- DescriptionThe history of the Christian spiritual life suggests that those who truly teach the spiritual life have been themselves taught by God. The phrase taught by God occurs in Christian writings across several centuries. This book draws on the teachers and teaching models that animate Christian history, bringing it into conversation with the issues and concerns of contemporary teachers and learners who seek to follow Christ. The authors contend that the various strands of the Christian spiritual and mystical tradition provide continuing guidance for Christian teachers in the cultivation of their own spiritual lives and the lives of their students. They order this book around four aspects of Christian educational ministries: the identity of the teacher, contexts in which we teach, models for teaching, and evaluation of teaching. Readers are invited to look at the world of teaching through multiple sides of a prism, refracting differently with each effort, drawing the eye toward a variety of subtle nuance, and inviting varied interpretations of the subject we see. Each chapter focuses on particular spiritual teachers (Francis de Sales, Catherine of Siena, S?ren Kierkegaard), practices (monastic rules, spiritual direction, examination of conscience), and images (pilgrimage, imitation, apprenticeship) as exemplars of or frameworks for teaching and spiritual formation in the church today.
- Author BiographyE. Byron Anderson is Styberg Associate Professor of Worship and Music Ministry at Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary. Karen Marie Yust is associate professor of Christian Education at Union Theological Seminary and Presbyterian School of Christian Education. A prolific writer of books, articles, and scholarly papers, Yust's books include Real Kids, Real Faith: A Practice of Nurturing Children's Spiritual Lives (Jossey-Bass, 2004) and Attentive to God: Spirituality in the Church Committee (Chalice Press, 2001). She is an ordained minister in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) with dual standing in the United Church of Christ. She has been certified as a specialist in Christian education by the United Church of Christ.
- Author(s)E Byron Anderson,Karen Marie Yust
- PublisherChalice Press
- Date of Publication01/07/2006
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Place of PublicationSaint Louis, MO
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintChalice Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight268 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
- Edition Statementannotated edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.