All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe United States is moving toward a possible catastrophic fiscal collapse. The country may t get there, but the risk is unmistakable and growing. The 'fiscal language' of taxes, spending, and deficits has played a huge and under appreciated role in the decisions that have pushed the nation in this dangerous direction. Part of the problem is that by focusing only on the current year, deficits permit politicians to igre what is looming down the road. The bigger problem lies in the belief, shared by people on the left and the right alike, that 'tax cuts' and 'spending cuts' lead to smaller government, when in fact the characterization of any new policy as a change in 'taxes' or in 'spending' is purely a matter of labeling. This book proposes a better fiscal language for US budgetary policy, rooted in ecomic fundamentals such as wealth distribution and resource allocation in lieu of 'taxes' and 'spending'.
- Author BiographyDaniel N. Shaviro is Wayne Perry Professor of Taxation at New York University Law School, where he has taught since 1995. He previously served on the faculty of the University of Chicago Law School from 1987 to 1996. Professor Shaviro was a Legislation Attorney for the US Congress's Joint Committee on Taxation from 1984 to 1987, and worked on the landmark Tax Reform Act of 1986. His previous books include Who Should Pay for Medicare? (2004), Making Sense of Social Security Reform (2000), When Rules Change: An Economic and Political Look at Transition Relief and Retroactivity (2000), and Do Deficits Matter? (1997). Professor Shaviro has served as a Visiting Scholar at the American Enterprise Institute and chaired the Tax Sections of the American Association of Law Schools and the American Law and Economics Association. He has published articles in the Harvard Law Review, University of Chicago Law Review, Michigan Law Review, University of Pennsylvania Law Review and Tax Law Review. His blog Start Making Sense can be found at http://danshaviro.blogspot.com/.
- Author(s)Daniel N. Shaviro
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication04/12/2006
- SubjectFinance & Accounting
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight492 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $24.94Trending at AU $33.36
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.