Teach Yourself Understand the Middle East (since 1945) by Stewart Ross (Paperback, 2010)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $20.58Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by books2anywhereuk
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $16.99Free postage
- Acceptable condition
- Sold by sunrisebookshop
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIs this the right book for me? An essential guide to one of the world's most turbulent regions Understand the Middle East (since 1945) examines the origins and development of the events which have dominated the headlines for the last six decades. Covering everything from religion and politics in the aftermath of the Second World War to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, war in Iraq and the terrorism of the present day it will change the way you think about the region. Understand the Middle East (since 1945) includes: Chapter 1: The crossroads of the world What is the Middle East? The geography of the Middle East Peoples and Societies Religion Chapter 2: States and mandates: Middle Eastern politics to the end of the Second World War Ottoman collapse Three agreements The Arabian peninsula Iran Egypt Iraq Syria, Leban and Transjordan Chapter 3: The promised land Palestine Zion The British mandate The state of Israel Chapter 4: Gamal Abdul Nasser The First Arab-Israeli war A region of instability Nasser The Suez crisis Chapter 5: War to war The Suez war The consequences of Suez Between the wars The Palestinians The path to war Chapter 6: Divisions and developments 1967-73 The Six Day War The consequences of war Enter Sadat and Assad Palestine militant Sadat's patience runs out The Fourth Arab-Israeli War The oil weapon Chapter 7: Leban bleeds Uneasy peace Civil war Israeli intervention Israeli invasion Towards settlement Chapter 8: Camp David 'We can negotiate' Shuttle diplomacy A moment in history Camp David Chapter 9: Revolution and war King of Kings The Iranian Revolution The rise of Saddam Hussein Chapter 10: Intifada Fruitless negotiation The Palestinians Intifada The state of Palestine Hopes of settlement Chapter 11: Desert Storm Saddam bankrupt Operation Desert Shield Operation Desert Storm Repercussions and revolts Chapter 12: The 1990s: Searching for settlement Instability, religion and power The Declaration of Principles Struggling for peace A broader peace The peace process crumbles The Second Intifada Chapter 13: Decision time: 9/11 and the Arab world The Middle East in 2001 9/11 and America's War on Terror A new millennium: 1. Egypt, Jordan, Leban and Syria A new millennium: 2. Saudi Arabia and the Gulf Chapter 14: Tragedy and intransigence: Iraq and Iran in the new millennium Insurgency and democracy Towards settlement Twenty-first-century Iran Chapter 15: Israel-Palestine in the new century New century, old problems Peace plans and disengagement Olmert, Abbas and Hamas More jaw, more war . Learn effortlessly with a new easy-to-read page design and interactive features: Not got much time? One, five and ten-minute introductions to key principles to get you started. Author insights Lots of instant help with common problems and quick tips for success, based on the author's many years of experience. Test yourself Tests in the book and online to keep track of your progress. Extend your kwledge Extra online articles to give you a richer understanding of the subject. Five things to remember Quick refreshers to help you remember the key facts. Try this Invative exercises illustrate what you've learnt and how to use it.
- Author BiographyStewart Ross is a former lecturer at a major Middle Eastern University and is a prolific history writer and broadcaster.
- Author(s)Stewart Ross
- PublisherHodder Education
- Date of Publication27/08/2010
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleTeach Yourself History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintTeach Yourself Books
- Content Notemaps
- Weight260 g
- Width132 mm
- Height21 mm
- Spine197 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $14.60Trending at AU $16.60
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.15
- AU $26.39Trending at AU $29.65
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.