Teacher Education and Black Communities: Implications for Access, Equity and Achievement by Information Age Publishing (Paperback, 2014)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $67.16Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $96.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe field of education has been and will continue to be essential to the survival and sustainability of the Black community. Unfortunately, over the past five decades, two major trends have become clearly evident in the Black community: (a) the decline of the academic achievement levels of Black students and (b) the disappearance of Black teachers, particularly Black males. Today, of the 3.5 million teachers in America's classrooms (AACTE, 2010) only 8% are Black teachers, and approximately 2% of these teachers are Black males (NCES, 2010). Over the past few decades, the Black teaching force in the U.S. has dropped significantly (Lewis, 2006; Lewis, Bonner, Byrd, & James, 2008; Milner & Howard, 2004), and this educational crisis shows signs of ending in the near future. As the population of Black students in K-12 schools in the U. S. continue to rise--currently over 16% of students in America's schools are Black (NCES, 2010)--there is an urgent need to increase the presence of Black educators.
The overall purpose of this edited volume is to stimulate thought and discussion among diverse audiences (e.g., policymakers, practitioners, and educational researchers) who are concerned about the performance of Black students in our nation's schools, and to provide evidence-based strategies to expand our nation's pool of Black teachers. To this end, it is our hope that this book will contribute to the teacher education literature and will inform the teacher education policy and practice debate.
- Author BiographyYolanda Sealey-Ruiz, Teachers College, Columbia University , USA
Chance W. Lewis, Ph.D., University of North Carolina at Charlotte , USA
Ivory Toldson, Ph.D., Howard University, USA
- PublisherInformation Age Publishing
- Date of Publication30/04/2014
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleContemporary Perspectives on Access Equity & Achievement
- Place of PublicationGreenwich
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintInformation Age Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight494 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byChance W. Lewis,Ivory Toldson,Yolanda Sealey-Ruiz
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.