All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the training field at West Point to the entrenchments at Fort Donelson, Charles Ferguson Smith was the soldier's soldier. During his nearly forty-two year career, General Smith was a teacher, mentor, and role model for many young officers who became prominent Civil War generals. He was respected and admired by his former students and future officers including Grant, Halleck, Longstreet, and Sherman. This long overdue biography reveals a man who was a faithful officer, an excellent disciplinarian, an able commander, and a modest gentleman. Smith served at the US Military Academy from 1829 to 1842 as Instructor of Tactics, Adjutant to the Superintendent, and Commandant of Cadets. However, he was more than a instructor training cadets in the art of war. He set an example to junior officers in the Mexican War leading his light battalion to victories and earning three field promotions. Smith served with Albert Johnston and other future Confederate officers in the Mormon War. He mentored Grant while serving under him in the Civil War. Smith rose to the rank of major general while refusing to solicit political favours and court journalists. He turned the tide at Fort Donelson which led to Grant's rise to fame.
- Author BiographyAllen H. Mesch is a Civil War author, educator, and historian from Plano, Texas, USA. He shares his 4,000-plus photographs taken at over one hundred locations on his web site (http://www.civil-war-journeys.org), writes the blog Salient Points (http://salient-points.blogspot.com), teaches classes in Collin College's SAIL program, and reviews books for the Civil War Courier.
- Author(s)Allen H. Mesch
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication30/07/2015
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Content Note48 photographs
- Weight612 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.16New
- AU $64.84Used
- AU $78.59New
- AU $105.40New
- AU $75.53Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $45.70Trending at AU $72.17
- AU $21.30Trending at AU $23.06
- AU $19.47Trending at AU $32.54
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.10
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.31
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $87.71
- AU $10.36Trending at AU $18.84
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.