All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'Douglas Newton's Teaching Design and Techlogy gives encouragement to creativity in younger pupils. Aimed at ages 3-11, it contains a variety of suggestions for activities providing more than just a collection of ideas, there are many suggestions that might help children plan and work towards quality products' - The Times Educational Supplement 'An excellent book which is both thought-provoking and extremely practical. The philosophy and history behind D&T is enlightening and very entertaining, whilst the numerous ideas for practical activities make it a 'pick up and use' book. Unusually, it provides a wide range of activities for children as young as 3 up to 11 years of age, and detailed lesson plans demonstrate how they can be presented in class. The problem-solving approach taken by this book supports views on 'best practice' as described in the government publication 'Excellence and Enjoyment'. As the focus in education is on developing a more creative curriculum, this book is a must for both experienced teachers and students alike' - Linda Johnston, Head at Sedgefield Hardwick Primary 'This book is packed full of sound advice and good ideas interlaced with the essence of what Design and Techlogy in primary schools should be' - David Jinks, Jerwood Laureate 'A very practical book, which focuses on sound advice from an expert in D&T education...Here you will find a wealth of ideas for putting into practice. What shines through is the depth of experience that Newton brings to the work...This is an invaluable resource for any primary school and deserves to be widely read. I have doubt that teachers will rate it highly' - Primary Science Review 'This very readable book gives a wealth of simple interesting examples of techlogical development that will be appreciated by children throughout the primary school...Very practical general teaching advice is given throughout...a valuable resource for trainees and teachers who lack experience in this subject' - Journal of Education for Teaching Training to teach Design and Techlogy? Need ideas for your lessons? Want to refresh your D&T teaching? Professor Douglas Newton's succinct guide to teaching design and techlogy uses ideas that have been road-tested and developed over his many years of teaching and of training student teachers and practitioners. Assuming prior kwledge, this straightforward book will quickly help you teach D&T in the primary school and D&T-related activities in the very early years. It gives you ready-made lesson plans and banks of teaching ideas for immediate use in your classroom. Written for the busy trainee and teacher, this practical book features: - A clear account of the nature of D&T and what is expected of you. - Time-saving, photocopiable worksheets to help children grasp problems, develop ideas and plan. - Lots of activities for the children, some set out in step-by-step detail. - Advice on helping children make progress and on assessing their work. - Looking ahead: some guidance for the aspiring teacher on preparing for curriculum leadership. - Helpful chapter summaries.
- Author BiographyDoug Newton taught in school for more than two decades before training teachers at Newcastle University where he is a professor. He is an inventor himself and has written several very successful books on science and technology education and has received awards for his work. He is also a Professorial Fellow at Durham University where he contributes to the science and technology training of undergraduate and postgraduate trainee teachers. His research is largely to do with strategies that support understanding, particularly in connection with learning science and technology. Professor Newton's numerous publications have attracted a world-wide readership and have been translated into other languages.
- Author(s)Douglas Newton
- PublisherSAGE Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication02/03/2005
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPaul Chapman Publishing Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight340 g
- Width170 mm
- Height242 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.