All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis textbook provides an introduction to inquiry-oriented secondary science teaching methods. This book stands out from the others by practicing what it preaches- it uses the inquiry approach to teach the inquiry approach. In addition, it provides tools teachers can use in their classrooms immediately, such as lesson planning procedures, classroom management techniques and effective evaluation procedures. The book is developed around six key questions: 1. What is science? 2. Why teach science? 3. What is the nature of scientific kwledge? 4. How do scientists construct kwledge? 5. How do people develop effective reasoning patterns? 6. What teaching methods best facilitate scientific kwledge acquisition (both conceptual kwledge construction and reasoning pattern development)?
- Author BiographyDr. Anton Lawson's career in science education began in the late 1960s in California where he taught middle school science and mathematics for three years before completing his Ph.D. at the University of Oklahoma and moving to Purdue University in 1973. Lawson continued his research career at the University of California Berkeley in 1974, and then moved to Arizona State University in 1977, where he currently conducts research and teaches courses in biology, in biology teaching methods, and in research methods. Lawson has directed over 100 workshops for teachers, mostly on inquiry teaching methods, and has published over 200 articles and over 20 books including Science Teaching and the Development of Thinking (Wadsworth: Belmont, CA, 1995), Biology: A Critical Thinking Approach, (Addison Wesley: Menlo Park, CA, 1994), and The Neurological Basis of Learning, Development and Discovery, (Kluwer: Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 2003). Lawson's most recent book is an introductory biology text called Biology: An Inquiry Approach, (Kendall/Hunt; Dubuque, IA, 2004). Lawson is perhaps best known for his research articles in science education, which have three times been judged to be the most significant articles of the year by the National Association for Research in Science Teaching (NARST). He has also received NARST's career award for Distinguished Contributions to Science Education Research as well as the Outstanding Science Educator of the Year Award by the Association for the Education of Teachers in Science.
- Author(s)Anton E. Lawson
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication15/11/2009
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationThousand Oaks
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSAGE Publications Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight612 g
- Width203 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.99
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.