All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe second edition of this bestselling book provides a structured multi-sensory programme for teaching literacy to children and young people from 5-18 with dyslexia and other specific literacy difficulties. Supported by a wealth of resources available online and updated throughout, the new edition w includes a brand new section on Implementing the Accelerated Programme for learners who have already acquired some literacy skills. This includes: * A placement test to indicate whether the programme is appropriate * A diagstic assessment procedure to determine where the learner should begin on the Accelerated Programme * Examples of lesson plans, reading cards and spelling cards to help teachers prepare resources for their students. With tried and tested strategies and activities this book continues to provide everything you need to help improve and develop the literacy skills of learners in your setting including; * the rationale for a structured multi-sensory approach * the development of phological, reading, writing and spelling skills * working with learners who have English as an Additional Language (EAL) * lesson structure and lesson-planning * alphabet and dictionary skills * memory work and study skills * teaching the programme to groups * ideas for working with young children.
- Author BiographyDr Kathleen Kelly PhD, MA (SEN), Dip TESL, AMBDA, is a senior lecturer at Manchester Metropolitan University in the Centre for Inclusion and Special Educational Needs. She is Programme Leader for the MA in Specific Learning Difficulties and has presented papers at a number of international conferences in this area. For several years she has taught courses on specific learning difficulties (dyslexia) to undergraduates as part of the initial teacher training programme in addition to postgraduate awards. She has considerable experience in delivering courses to meet the criteria set out by the British Dyslexia Association for Approved Teacher Status (ATS) and is Associate Member of the British Dyslexia Association (AMBDA). Kathleen has taught a wide range of learners with dyslexia, from children as young as four years to those at Key Stage 5. She has worked in both mainstream and special schools, for language support and learning support services, as a SENCO in a primary school, and as Head of Sixth Form in a special school. She has many years' experience of supporting multilingual children with special educational needs (including specific learning difficulties). Multilingualism and dyslexia is a particular area of interest and her doctorate was also in this area. Sylvia Phillips, BA, DASE, MEd (SEN), AMBDA, began her career as a teacher of English in secondary schools where she first became interested in why some learners had severe literacy difficulties. She later joined Manchester Metropolitan University where she was a Principal Lecturer, Head of SEN, and then Head of Continuing Professional Development. At MMU she developed the first courses for specialist dyslexia teachers at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. During her time there, she also continued to work in primary, secondary and special schools both with teachers and directly with pupils. She developed and taught on SEN courses for teachers in the UK and was the UK partner (with Italy, Belgium and Spain) developing and teaching EU courses on 'Inclusion and SEN' for European educationalists. She has served on the Accreditation Board of the British Dyslexia Association and has also been involved in several dyslexia research projects. She is currently course leader of the specialist dyslexia teachers' course at Glyndwr University, Wales. She has co-authored Putting the Code to Work (Primary and Secondary editions, 1998, MMU - MET Publications), Inspection and Beyond (1997, Pearson), Management Skills for SEN co-ordinators (1999, Falmer Press), and A Multi-sensory Teaching System for Reading (1998, MMU Publishing), a fully scripted set of materials for teaching small groups of pupils with dyslexia. Sylvia's other main areas of interest lie in 'learner voice', pupils' social, emotional and behavioural difficulties, and supporting teachers undertaking enquires into their practice.
- Author(s)Kathleen Kelly,Sylvia Phillips
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication16/03/2016
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationThousand Oaks
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSAGE Publications Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight862 g
- Width188 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.92
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.91
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.14
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.09
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $80.22
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.94
- AU $77.30Trending at AU $78.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.