All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionYour graduate work was on bacterial evolution, but w you're lecturing to 200 freshmen on primate social life. You've taught Kant for twenty years, but w you're team-teaching a new course on Ethics and the Internet . The personality theorist retired and wasn't replaced, so w you, the neuroscientist, have to teach the Sexual Identity course. Everyone in academia kws it and one likes to admit it: faculty often have to teach courses in areas they don't kw very well. The challenges are even greater when students don't share your cultural background, lifestyle, or assumptions about how to behave in a classroom. In this practical and funny book, an experienced teaching consultant offers many creative strategies for dealing with typical problems. How can you prepare most efficiently for a new course in a new area? How do you look credible? And what do you do when you don't have a clue how to answer a question? Encouraging faculty to think of themselves as learners rather than as experts, Therese Huston points out that authority in the classroom doesn't come only, or even mostly, from perfect kwledge. She offers tips for introducing new topics in a lively style, for gauging students' understanding, for reaching unresponsive students, for maintaining discussions when they seem to stop dead, and - yes - for dealing with those impossible questions. Original, useful, and hopeful, this book reminds you that teaching what you don't kw, to students whom you may t understand, is t just a job. It's an adventure.
- Author BiographyTherese Huston is Founding Director of the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning at Seattle University.
- PrizesShortlisted for ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Award: Education 2009.
- Author(s)Therese Huston
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication09/10/2012
- SubjectAdult & Further Education
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Weight295 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Trade paperback (US)
Explore Buying Guides
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.75Trending at AU $42.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.