Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $17.44+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGhana has become increasingly popular as a holiday destination. This is unsurprising - it is one of the most politically stable, and safe, countries in Africa. But visiting for a fortnight, or even a month, barely allows a scratch of the surface of this vibrant nation. You can see some of the sights and sample the food, but you'll never get a real understanding of what makes the country tick. Having left his History classroom in Britain, Peet spent ten months of 2012 teaching in rural Ghana. In this thought-provoking book, he recounts some of the tales which shaped his stay in the house of the village chief and his family. Peet's often self-deprecating wit comes to the fore as he gets to grips with the rigour of the different classroom environment, fetching water, tro-tros and more. All this is set in time to the events which made the year one of national significance.
- Author BiographyPeet worked as a high school History teacher in the North-West of England for four years, until, at the age of 26, he handed in his notice in order to pursue his curiosity of other cultures. A keen, if limited, cricketer, he had wanted for many years to go to Cape Town to watch a Test match there. His adventure turned into a 5-week tour of the Rainbow Nation in early 2012, before heading to Ghana to work as a volunteer teacher there. Having no definite plans for after an initial three-month period with a volunteering company, Peet soon discovered that he was living in the house of one of the village chiefs, who ran a local school. After finishing the volunteer project, Peet worked for the chief for the rest of the year before returning to Britain in December 2012. Peet returned to the teaching profession in Britain and still enjoys his cricket. His other interests include sports and the arts.
- Author(s)Lawrie Peet
- Date of Publication19/01/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight463 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Illustrator(s)Andrew Hilton
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Travel Guides
Save on Travel Guides
- AU $34.50Trending at AU $35.48
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.23
- AU $16.12Trending at AU $22.21
- AU $21.83Trending at AU $22.21
- AU $21.88Trending at AU $25.10
- AU $21.80Trending at AU $25.10
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $38.48
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.