All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionQuantification of the proliferative characteristics of rmal and malignant cells has been of interest to oncolo- gists and cancer biologists for almost three decades. This interest stems from (a) the fact that cancer is a disease of uncontrolled proliferation, (b) the finding that many of the commonly used anticancer agents are preferentially toxic to cells that are actively proliferating, and (c) the observa- tion that significant differences in proliferation characteristics exist between rmal and malignant cells. Initially, cell cycle analysis was pursued enthusiastically in the hope of gener- ating information useful for the development of rational cancer therapy strategies; for example, by allowing identi- fication of rapidly proliferating tumors against which cell cycle-specific agents could be used with maximum effec- tiveness and by allowing rational scheduling of cell cyc- specific therapeutic agents to maximize the therapeutic ratio. Unfortunately, several difficulties have prevented realiza- tion of the early promise of cell cycle analysis: Proliferative patterns of the rmal and malignant tissues have been found to be substantially more complex than originally an- ticipated, and synchronization of human tumors has proved remarkably difficult. Human tumors of the same type have proved highly variable, and the cytokinetic tools available for cell cycle analysis have been labor intensive, as well as somewhat subjective and in many cases inapplicable to humans. However, the potential for substantially improved cancer therapy remains if more accurate cytokinetic infor- mation about human malignancies and rmal tissues can be obtained in a timely fashion.
- Author(s)Huon Gray
- PublisherHumana Press Inc.
- Date of Publication04/02/1987
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Series TitleMethods in Molecular Biology
- Place of PublicationTotowa, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHumana Press Inc.
- Content Note97 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight775 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.02Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.