All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAt a time when distinctions between television and film have blurred, and multiple TV channels offer us the chance to re-view TV dramas, there is still little attention paid to television drama as text or to ways of theorising such texts. This book offers both a clear account of theoretical approaches to television drama and readings of a range of television drama texts. Arguing that TV drama is a key site for exploring the usefulness of contemporary theories of identity, culture and representation, it offers a framework which links this analysis to theoretical concepts explored elsewhere in cultural, media and film studies over recent years. Each chapter provides a critical account of a specific theoretical approach, outlining its history and scope, and demonstrating its application across a range of TV dramas, ending with a close reading of particular examples. Organised around the themes of identity and subjectivity, the book encompasses a wide range of approaches and texts, from sitcom, to docudrama, to sci fi and is an ideal resource for undergraduate students of Media Studies, Cultural studies, Communication Studies and Television and Film Studies.
- Author BiographySUE THORNHAM is Professor of Media and Cultural Studies at the University of Sussex, UK. She has published widely in her field, with publications including Media Studies: A Reader 2e (Edinburgh University Press) and Feminism and Cultural Studies (Edward Arnold). TONY PURVIS is Lecturer in the School of Arts, Design and Media at the University of Sunderland, UK.
- Author(s)Sue Thornham,Tony Purvis
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication29/10/2004
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight291 g
- Width138 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine12 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $36.00
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.20
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.