All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTelevision entertainment rules supreme, one of the world's most important disseminators of information, ideas, and amusement. More than a parade of little figures in a box, it is deeply embedded in everyday life, in how we think, what we think and care about, and who we think and care about it with. But is television entertainment art? Why do so many love it and so many hate or fear it? Does it offer a window to the world, or images of a fake world? How is it political and how does it address us as citizens? What powers does it hold, and what powers do we have over it? Or, for that matter, what is television these days, in an era of rapidly developing techlogies, media platforms, and globalization? Written especially for students, Television Entertainment addresses these and other key questions that we regularly ask, or should ask. Jonathan Gray offers a lively and dynamic, thematically based overview with examples from recent and current television, including Lost, reality television, The Sopras, The Simpsons, political satire, Grey's Anatomy, The West Wing, soaps, and 24.
- Author BiographyJonathan Gray is Assistant Professor of Communication and Media Studies at Fordham University. He is author of Watching with The Simpsons: Television, Parody, and Intertextuality, and co-editor of Fandom: Identities and Communities in a Mediated World and Battleground: The Media.
- Author(s)Jonathan Gray
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication19/03/2008
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleCommunication and Society
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 7
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note3 black & white tables
- Weight340 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.82Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.