All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom Ken Burns's documentaries to historical dramas such as Roots , from A&E's Biography series to CNN's coverage of such events as the fall of the Berlin Wall, television has become the primary source for historical information for tens of millions of Americans today. Why has television become such a respected authority? What falsehoods enter our collective memory as truths? How is one to kw what is real and what is imagined-or igred-by producers, directors, or writers? Gary Edgerton and Peter Rollins have collected a group of essays that seek to answer these and many other questions. The contributors examine the full spectrum of historical genres, but also institutions such as the History Channel and production histories of such series as The Jack Benny Show, which ran for 15 years. The authors explore the tensions between popular history and professional history, and the tendency of some academics to declare the past off limits to nscholars. Several of them point to the tendency for television histories to embed current concerns and priorities within the past, as in such popular shows as Quantum Leap and Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman . The result is an insightful portrayal of the power television possesses to influence our culture.
- Author BiographyGary R. Edgerton, professor and chair of the Communication and Theatre Arts Department at Old Dominion University, is co-editor of the Journal of Popular Film and Television and author of several books. Peter C. Rollins, Regents Professor of English at Oklahoma State University, is editor of Film & History and numerous books, including Hollywood as Historian: American Film in a Cultural Context.
- PublisherThe University Press of Kentucky
- Date of Publication31/05/2003
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationLexington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University Press of Kentucky
- Content Note61 photographs
- Weight513 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byGary R. Edgerton,Peter C. Rollins
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.74
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.18
- AU $40.67Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $36.57Trending at AU $37.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.