All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume presents new work by leading researchers on central themes in the study of event structure: the nature and representation of telicity, change, and the tion of state. The book advances our understanding of these aspects of event structure by combining foundational semantic research with a series of case studies from a variety of languages. The book begins with an overview of the theoretical issues central to the volume, along with a brief presentation of the remaining chapters and the points of contact between them. The chapters, developed within several different theoretical perspectives, promote cross-theory as well as cross-linguistic comparison. The work will interest scholars and advanced students of morphology, syntax, semantics, and their interfaces. It will also appeal to researchers in philosophy, psycholinguistics, and language acquisition who are interested in the tions of telicity, change, and stativity.
- Author BiographyVioleta Demonte is Research Professor of Linguistics at the Spanish National Research Council. Her research has mostly concentrated on the areas of syntax and lexical semantics. Among her research topics are complement clauses, the syntax and semantics of adjectives, NP structure, aspect in secondary predication, and syntactic variation. She was the Director (with I. Bosque) of the Gramatica descriptiva de la lengua espanola (RAE-Espasa Calpe, 5.500 p.) ; Louise McNally is Professor of Linguistics at Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona. Her research focuses on various aspects of nominal, verbal, and adjectival semantics, the semantics of modification, and more generally on the syntax/semantics and semantics/pragmatics interfaces. Her most recent book, co-edited with Christopher Kennedy, is Adjectives and Adverbs: Syntax, Semantics, and Discourse (Oxford, 2008).
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication07/06/2012
- Series TitleOxford Studies in Theoretical Linguistics
- Series Part/Volume Number39
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Notefigures
- Weight622 g
- Width157 mm
- Height233 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byLouise McNally,Violeta Demonte
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.75
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $64.70Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.37
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $92.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.