All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $85.84
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $60.76
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.53
- AU $12.90Trending at AU $15.61
- AU $29.05Trending at AU $31.31
- AU $8.87Trending at AU $15.80
- AU $14.10Trending at AU $17.43
About this product
- DescriptionA century after her birth, Tillie Olsen's writing is as relevant as when it first appeared; indeed, the clarity and passion of her vision and style have, if anything, become even more striking over time. Collected here for the first time are several of Olsen's nfiction pieces about the 1930s, early journalism pieces, and short fiction, including the four beautifully crafted, highly celebrated stories originally published as Tell Me a Riddle: I Stand Here Ironing, Hey Sailor, What Ship?, O Yes, and Tell Me a Riddle. Also included, for the first time since it appeared in the 1971 Best American Short Stories, is Requa I. In these stories, as in all of her work, Olsen set a new standard for the treatment of women and the poor and for the depiction of their lives and circumstances. In her hands, the hard truths about motherhood and marriage, domestic life, labor, and political conviction found expression in language of such poetic intensity and depth that their influence continues to be felt today. An introduction by Olsen's granddaughter, the poet Rebekah Edwards, and a foreword by her daughter Laurie Olsen provide a personal and generational context for the author's work.
- Author BiographyTillie Olsen (1912-2007) was an activist, feminist, award-winning author, and teacher who won nine honorary degrees and whose short stories Tell Me a Riddle (winner of the O. Henry Award) and I Stand Here Ironing have been anthologized extensively. She is the author of the novel Yonondio: From the Thirties, available in a Bison Books edition, the nonfiction book Silences, and numerous published essays and is the editor of Mother to Daughter, Daughter to Mother: Mothers on Mothering.
- Author(s)Tillie Olsen
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication01/09/2013
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight236 g
- Width3556 mm
- Height5487 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Introduction byRebekah Edwards
- Foreword byLaurie Olsen
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.