All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis superb collection of essays on late imperial and modern Chinese history spans the brilliant forty-year career of the late Frederic E. Wakeman, Jr. Appearing for the first time in one volume, the essays offer richly textured narratives of critical historical events as well as sweeping analyses of China's place in world history. They take us from the late Ming dynasty to the People's Republic - delving into complex issues of Confucianism and intellectual history, the nitty-gritty details of Jiangyin localism, wartime Shanghai, and more. Always there is engagement with the larger concerns of history and the social sciences: the public sphere, rebellion and revolution, the world crisis of the seventeenth century, and the influence of imperialism.
- Author BiographyFrederic E. Wakeman, Jr. (1937-2006) was Professor of Chinese History and Haas Professor of Asian Studies in the Department of History at the University of California, Berkeley. Among his many books is The Great Enterprise: The Manchu Reconstruction of Imperial Order in Seventeenth-Century China (UC Press).
- Author(s)Frederic E. Wakeman
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication10/03/2009
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Note8 tables
- Weight485 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited byJr.
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.66
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.26
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.39
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.74
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $99.57
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $112.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.