All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn both Japan and the United States, migration, refugee, and citizenship policies have become highly contentious political issues. Japan, traditionally a closed society with the lowest proportion of foreigners of any major industrial country, has struggled to utilize the recent influx of illegal migrants without incorporating them into Japanese society and citizenship. The United States, a country built by immigrants, today grapples with the impact of legal and illegal migrants on employment and social services. Myron Weiner and Tadashi Hanami have assembled a distinguished group of American and Japanese demographers, ecomists, historians, lawyers, political scientists, and sociologists to examine Japan's and America's very different approaches to employer demands for labor, control over illegal migration, the incorporation of migrants, the legal rights and social benefits of foreign residents and illegal migrants, the claims of refugees and asylum seekers, and the issues of citizenship and nationality. Temporary Workers or Future Citizens places the ecomic issues of migration in a cultural context, by revealing how the collective identities of Americans and Japanese shape the way each society regards immigrants and refugees.
- Author BiographyMyron Weiner is Professor of Political Science at MIT, chair of the External Research Advisory Committee of UNHCR, and author of numerous works, including The Global Migration Crisis. Author of Managing Japanese Workers, Tadashi Hanami is Professor of Labor Law and former Dean of Sophia University Law School, and Research Director General of the Japan Institute of Labor.
- PublisherNew York University Press
- Date of Publication31/01/1998
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew York University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight726 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine43 mm
- Edited byMyron Weiner,Tadashi Hanami
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.91Trending at AU $62.69
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
- AU $35.29Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.74
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.