All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAfter wandering down a hall and discovering a scattered assortment of clothes, ten birds were shocked to spot a scary monster! What were they to do? Grabbing a piece of clothing as a disguise, ?the first bird, always inventive, became a Vicious Polka-dactyl. But the monster didn't budge.? So the second bird, then the third bird, and so on, followed in turn, each adding some clothing to the mix to devise a new, frightening creature. But matter that the birds were ?resourceful, ? ?attentive, ? ?creative? and ?eager to participate, ? or that they created fantastically scary beings such as a Gnashing Grapplesaurus, a Bristling Fang-Mangler and a Slimy Long-toed Zapper --- the monster would t be chased away. Until the tenth bird stepped forward, the one who was ?always easily distracted.? Could this be the bird who finally, and surprisingly, saved the day?
This gorgeous picture book by award-winning author-illustrator Cybele Young is perfect for counting and early numeracy lessons. Each of the numbers from one to ten gets its own spread, featuring two pieces of intricately detailed pen-and-ink illustrations. The smaller illustration incorporates the numeral into the drawing itself, while the larger one offers the opportunity to search for and count all the birds within the growing clothes monster. Filled with silliness, suspense and a terrific reveal at the end, this clever, funny story is also a wonderful read-aloud. It highlights how individual resourcefulness and creativity are magnified by the power of cooperation and teamwork.
- Author BiographyCybele Young is an internationally renowned artist, represented by galleries in New York, London, Vancouver and Calgary. Her art practice and family life have also inspired the creation of several children's books. She was nominated for a Governor General's Award for Illustration in 2000, and has written and illustrated two titles (Ten Birds, Kids Can Press, and A Few Blocks, Groundwood Books).Cybele Young is an internationally renowned artist, represented by galleries in New York, London, Vancouver and Calgary. Her art practice and family life have also inspired the creation of several children's books. She was nominated for a Governor General's Award for Illustration in 2000, and has written and illustrated two titles (Ten Birds, Kids Can Press, and A Few Blocks, Groundwood Books).
- PublisherKids Can Press
- Date of Publication01/05/2014
- SubjectPre-school & Early Learning
- Series TitleTen Birds
- Place of PublicationOntario
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintKids Can Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight476 g
- Width234 mm
- Height295 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsPicture book,Sewn,Cloth over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $234.90Trending at AU $288.63
- AU $30.63Trending at AU $35.61
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $15.67
- AU $14.48Trending at AU $15.11
- AU $49.59Trending at AU $52.57
- AU $31.61Trending at AU $38.32
- AU $42.80Trending at AU $47.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.