All listings for this product
Sponsored by eBay Stores
- AU $27.29Free postage
- AU $27.96Free postage
About this product
- DescriptionIn this surprising and moving memoir, the legendary rap star and cofounder of Run D.M.C. keeps it a hundred percent, speaking out about his battle with depression and overcoming suicidal thoughts-one of the most devastating yet little kwn health issues plaguing the black community today. As one third of the legendary rap group Run D.M.C., Darryl DMC McDaniels-aka Legendary MC, The Devastating Mic Controller, and the King of Rock-had it all: talent, money, fame, prestige. While hitting #1 on the Billboard charts was exhilarating, the group's success soon became overwhelming. A creative guy who enjoyed being at home alone or with his family, DMC turned to alcohol to numb himself, a retreat that became an addiction. For years, he went through the motions. But in 1997, when intoxication could longer keep the pain at bay, he plunged into severe depression and became suicidal. He wasn't alone. During the same period, suicide became the number three leading cause of death among black people-a health crisis that continues to this day. In this riveting memoir, DMC speaks openly about his emotional and psychological struggles and the impact on his life, and addresses the many reasons that led him-and thousands of others-to consider suicide. Some of the factors include t being true to who you are, feelings of loneliness, isolation, and alienation, and a lack of understanding and support from friends and family when it's needed most. He also provides essential information on resources for getting help. Revealing how even the most successful people can suffer from depression, DMC offers inspiration for everyone in pain-information and insight that he hopes can help save other lives.
- Author BiographyDarryl DMC McDaniels is a musical icon and one of the founders-along with Joseph Rev. Run Simmons and the late, great Jason Jam Master Jay Mizell-of the groundbreaking rap group Run-DMC. With a fan base that rivals some of the biggest acts in rock and roll, Run-DMC has sold more than thirty million singles and albums worldwide and has helped transform hip-hop into one of the most popular musical genres of all time. In 2009, Run-DMC was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. In 2014, McDaniels launched the comic book company Darryl Makes Comics and published the graphic novel DMC. His work with the Felix Organization, a nonprofit he cofounded, led him to speak at the White House and to appear before Congress and various state legislatures on behalf of adoptees and foster children. When he's not on tour speaking or performing, he lives in New York City.
- Author(s)Darrell Dawsey,Darryl DMC McDaniels
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers Inc
- Date of Publication11/08/2016
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAmistad Press
- Weight353 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $50.62Trending at AU $53.30
- AU $32.82Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.06Trending at AU $45.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.