All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.99
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is a new edition of Tensors and Manifolds: With Applications to Mechanics and Relativity which was published in 1992. It is based on courses taken by advanced undergraduate and beginning graduate students in mathematics and physics, giving an introduction to the expanse of modern mathematics and its application in modern physics. It aims to fill the gap between the basic courses and the highly technical and specialised courses which both mathematics and physics students require in their advanced training, while simultaneously trying to promote, at an early stage, a better appreciation and understanding of each other's discipline. The book sets forth the basic principles of tensors and manifolds, describing how the mathematics underlies elegant geometrical models of classical mechanics, relativity and elementary particle physics. The existing material from the first edition has been reworked and extended in some sections to provide extra clarity, as well as additional problems. Four new chapters on Lie groups and fibre bundles have been included, leading to an exposition of gauge theory and the standard model of elementary particle physics. Mathematical rigour combined with an informal style makes this a very accessible book and will provide the reader with an enjoyable parama of interesting mathematics and physics.
- Author BiographyRobert H. Wasserman is Professor Emeritus of Mathematics at Michigan State University, USA.
- Author(s)Robert H. Wasserman
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication13/05/2004
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Notenumerous figures
- Weight932 g
- Width163 mm
- Height242 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.