All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTerence's Hecyra raises social, literary and theatrical issues of great interest to modern students of Roman comedy and, indeed, of Roman culture more broadly. The play pays strikingly close attention to the domestic problems of women and experiments boldly with traditional comic forms, t only in its creation of anticipatory suspense, but through its variations on traditional situations and roles and its metatheatrical qualities. In addition, Terence's response in his prologues to the play's two putative failures is important, if tendentious, evidence for the mechanics of theatrical performance in the second century, especially the conjunction of theatrical and gladiatorial shows. This edition opens the play's many interpretive challenges to wider scrutiny while remaining attentive to the linguistic needs of students at all levels.
- Author BiographySander M. Goldberg is Distinguished Professor of Classics at the University of California, Los Angeles. He has been studying and teaching Roman comedy (and related subjects) for over thirty years and enjoys an international reputation in this field. He has published extensively on Roman drama, including three books dealing specifically with drama in its literary and social context, as well as numerous articles and reviews.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication21/11/2013
- Series TitleCambridge Greek and Latin Classics
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Weight300 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited bySander M. Goldberg
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.42Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.