Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $47.84Trending at AU $48.79
- AU $32.52Trending at AU $40.62
- AU $30.41Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.73Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $26.56Trending at AU $29.34
About this product
- DescriptionAt the first two presentations of this play in 165 and 160 BC, the prospect of rival attractions drove the actors prematurely off the stage, and it was only in September 160 that it was finally performed in full. For this reason the play has been seen as spanning virtually the whole of Terence's career, while the fact that the playwright refused to abandon it to oblivion indicates the importance which he himself attached to it. Though its plot is founded upon the conventional theme of marital problems, The Mother in Law departs radically from the usual treatment of such topics to become at times more closely akin to tragedy than to comedy. It is the purpose of this edition to show Terence's skill t only in terms of plot construction and development but also in character portrayal and his ability to maintain the suspense of the situation almost to the last moment.
- Author BiographyS Ireland is Lecturer in Classics at Warwick University. He has written on such diverse subjects as Aeschylus, Menander, Roman Britain, Homer, Apollodorus and computing in the Classics.
- Author(s)Stanley Ireland
- PublisherLiverpool University Press
- Date of Publication01/05/1990
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Series TitleAris & Phillips Classical Texts
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAris & Phillips Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight290 g
- Width149 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.