All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTerritories of Poverty challenges the conventional North-South geographies through which poverty scholarship is organized. Staging theoretical interventions that traverse social histories of the American welfare state and critical ethgraphies of international development regimes, these essays confront how povertyis constituted as a problem. In the process, the book analyzes bureaucracies of poverty, poor people's movements, and global networks of poverty expertise, as well as more intimate modes of poverty action such as volunteerism. From post-Katrina New Orleans to Korean church missions in Africa, this book is fundamentally concerned with how poverty is territorialized. In contrast to studies concerned with locations of poverty, Territories of Poverty engages with spatial techlogies of power, be they community development and counterinsurgency during the American 1960s or the unceasing anticipation of war in Beirut. Within this territorial matrix, contributors uncover dissent, rupture, and mobilization. This book helps us understand the regulation of poverty-whether by globally circulating models of fast policy or vast webs of mobile money or philanthrocapitalist foundations-as multiple terrains of struggle for justice and social transformation.
- Author BiographyAnanya Roy is professor of city and regional planning and Distinguished Chair in Global Poverty and Practiceat the University of California, Berkeley. Emma Shaw Crane is a doctoral student in American Studies in the Department of Social and Cultural Analysis at New York University, USA. She was previously a research fellow at the Blum Center for Developing Economies at the University of California, Berkeley, USA.
- PublisherUniversity of Georgia Press
- Date of Publication30/11/2015
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Series TitleGeographies of Justice and Social Transformation
- Place of PublicationGeorgia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Georgia Press
- Content Note8 black & white photographs, 2 tables
- Weight825 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byAnanya Roy,Emma Shaw Crane
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $43.76
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.25
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.