All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is the third in a series that represents testing and evaluation of human and computer chessplayers for over 30 years. The original work started with the Bratko-Kopec Test in 1982 whereby 24 positions proved very effective in evaluating the leave of both human and computer chessplayers. This led to the development of five tests which comprised the 1997 first edition of this book. For the 2003 edition Kopec and Terrie added two tests bringing them to a total of 182 positions comprising seven tests. These tests are particularly kwledge-based covering all phases and all levels of chess play. The present edition, our third, adds five new tests, covering the openings including Novice (1000-1499) Intermediate (1500-1999), Advanced (2000-2199) and Super-Advance (2200 - 2700). A test covering the subtleties of King and Pawn Endings has also been added. The new 2013 edition also has the all the tests re-ordered by level of difficulty. All in all, there are 304 positions in this new comprehensive edition. The book promises to be an excellent tool for self-study and for study of chess in classes. It is an invaluable tool for instructors.
- Author BiographyDr Danny Kopec has a Ph.D. in Computer Science, with a concentration in Artificial Intelligence. He recently co-authored a textbook with Stephen Lucci entitled Artificial Intelligence in the 21st Century (590 pages, www.merclearning.com, 2013) . He first learned about artificial intelligence through his research in computer chess. He has published seven chess books and produced eight highly acclaimed DVD's totaling 18.5 hours. Since 1980 he has been bridging these interests through testing of hundreds of humans and computer programs on the knowledge-based aspects of problem positions in all phases of play, at all levels. For 16 years (between 1994 and 2009) the co-authors employed these tests on human subjects of all ages helping to identify their strengths and good directions for teaching and training. Test Evaluate and Improve Your Chess (3rd edition, 2013) represents the summary of Dr. Kopec's efforts to help chessplayers understand and acquire the knowledge necessary to achieve chess mastery. NM Hal Terrie is a Life and Correspondence Master whose tournament career spans many years, during which he has defeated and drawn a number of titled players. A well known New England chess promoter and tournament organizer, he has organized and directed scores of tournaments, including two New England Championships. He served for seven years as Associate Director of Kopec's Chess Camp. He is also a private instructor, who twice coached scholastic teams to first place finishes. Terrie has had several students who appeared on top 50 rating lists for their age group, and one who subsequently went on to become a GM.
- Author(s)Danny Kopec,Dr Danny Kopec Im,Hal Terrie Nm
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication07/04/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHobbies, Pastimes & Indoor Games
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight617 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.