All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.48
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.00
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $76.73
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $84.53
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.58
- AU $34.80Trending at AU $42.19
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.62
About this product
- DescriptionOrganized into eight chapters, the book presents fun facts on the following subjects: History, Piloting, Navigation, Weather, Aircraft, Airlines and Military, Facts of Flight, Procedures and Regulations. Through multiple choice, true/false, fill-in-the-blank, mix-and-match, and essay questions, the reader is challenged to derive the answer before finding it at the end of the chapter. A true aviation buff, the author teaches new information, clarifies points commonly misunderstood, and provides a wealth of kwledge on the aviation industry. Illustrated throughout with unique and entertaining photographs from Barry Schiff's own collection. Pilots are accustomed to test-taking -- it's part of earning and maintaining all pilot certificates. But this collection of infrequently-asked questions puts the fun back into self-quizzing, encouraging you to stretch your kwledge base and go beyond the subjects learned during student pilot days. Some of Schiff's questions are for pure entertainment. Some take you right to the airport: Q: A pilot is taxiing along a narrow taxiway at an uncontrolled airport on a cloudless day when he tices ather 172 approaching from the opposite direction. Without stopping, how can both pilots be certain that their wingtips will t touch as they pass one ather? Some questions share tips from a pro; other material will spark lively discussions for hangar flying.
- Author BiographyBarry Schiff: Barry Schiff, with more than 26,000 hours in almost 300 types of aircraft, has received worldwide recognition for his wide-ranging accomplishments. A rated Airline Transport Pilot at 21, he has earned every FAA category and class rating (except airship) and every possible instructor's rating. During his 34-year career with Trans World Airlines he flew everything from the Lockheed Constellation to the Boeing 747 and was a check captain on the Boeing 767. Captain Schiff holds five world speed records (one wrested from the Soviet Union) and has received numerous honors for his many contributions to aviation safety. These include a Congressional Commendation, the Louis Bleriot Air Medal (France), Switzerland's Gold Proficiency Medal, an honorary doctorate in aeronautical science from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, and AOPA's L.P. Sharples Perpetual Award. An award-winning journalist and author, he is well known to flying audiences for his numerous books and almost 900 articles published in some 90 aviation periodicals, notably AOPA Pilot, of which he is a contributing editor. Many of his articles discuss personally developed concepts, procedures and techniques that have received international acclaim. Schiff also developed and worked to have adopted the concept of providing general aviation pilots with safe VFR routes through high-density airspace. These credentials have not diminished his passion for flying light planes, which he has used to span oceans and continents. He continues to investigate and report to the aviation community various aspects of proficiency and safety, and remains a vigorous and outspoken advocate for general aviation. Listen to Barry's episode in the Finer Points Podcast (http://castroller.com/podcasts/TheFinerPoints/340073), and visit Barry's website at barryschiff.com. Thomas B. Haines: Thomas B. Haines was the Editor-in-Chief for AOPA Pilot magazine.
- Author(s)Barry Schiff
- PublisherAviation Supplies & Academics Inc
- Date of Publication01/11/2001
- SubjectTransport Technology
- Place of PublicationNewcastle
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAviation Supplies & Academics Inc
- Content Noteb/w photos
- Weight557 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Foreword byThomas B. Haines
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Most relevant reviews
- antoinemeola10 Dec, 2013by
The best brain picking book.
Hi There, This book is very informative and well done. Good quiz night for pilots. will make them realise they don't know everything and or how little they know. Well done Barry Schiff.
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.