All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.57
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.75
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
About this product
- DescriptionAlthough second language learners pragmatic competence (their ability to use language in context) is an essential part of their general communicative competence, it has t been a part of second language tests. This book helps fill this gap by describing the development and validation of a web-based test of ESL pragmalinguistics. The instrument assesses learners kwledge of routine formulae, speech acts, and implicature in 36 multiple-choice and brief-response items. The test s quantitative and qualitative validation with 300 learners showed high reliability and provided strong evidence of the instrument s construct validity. Its web-based format makes it easy to administer and score. The book ends with a discussion of future research directions in assessing second language pragmatics.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Carsten Rover is a lecturer in the Department of Linguistics and Applied Linguistics, School of Languages, at the University of Melbourne. He did his Erstes Staatsexamen in TESOL and Psychology at the University of Duisburg, and earned his Ph.D. in Second Language Acquisition from the University of Hawai i at Manoa. He has worked in test validation at the Educational Testing Service in Princeton, NJ, and served as a consultant at the Center for the Advanced Study of Language at the University of Maryland.
- Author(s)Carsten Rover
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication01/03/2005
- Series TitleLanguage Testing and Evaluation
- Series Part/Volume Number2
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Content Note43 tables, 8 graphs
- Weight230 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byGunther Sigott,Rudiger Grotjahn
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.